Friday, January 5, 2007

Honi soit qui mal y pense

This is a real exclusive club. I was led to investigate this group online after seeing some British sovereign wearing an item that had the words, "Honi soit qui mal y pense." It shows that I am a true peasant that I didn't know about this. The Order of the Garter uses this as its motto. It's old French (reflecting Norman influence, I guess) meaning, "shame to him who thinks evil of it." The pronunciation, for us commoners, is something like, "on ee swa kee mal ee pahnz." My pinkie extends when I say it.

No one knows for sure how such a wierd phrase became the motto for the most important Order of Knighthood in Great Britain, but I'm sure that the mystery adds to the clubbiness of the organization.

Aristocracy, is, as my father would say, "a different breeed of cats."

No comments: